Chris Schedel is a photographer, and this blog is used to introduce new photographs, drawings, thoughts, reviews, and links to other people's art. Enjoy!

Friday, July 11, 2008

New Images: All Work, All the Time.

If there is one thing I learned in graduate school, it came from Paul D'amato; that no matter where you are or what position you are in, you should always be making work. All work, all the time, that's how you stay in the game; not only physically, but mentally as well. And I have been. These two images are a product of my most recent way of thinking about photography, about art. It's a partial answer to a simple question: How can you make art when you are not in the financial position to do so, especially in the field of photography which is notoriously very expensive? While I would rather be working on my main project "Coming Home Never Felt So Good...", I have been doing a few side projects that require no monetary backing: scanned imagery, found imagery, drawings, minimal writings (haha), etc. So, how can I make work that means something to me and could possibly hold weight in a very populous community such as art photography? Lately, I have been thinking very introspectively, about my roots, where I grew up, previous artistic endeavors of mine, etc. Also, about who I am, who I've been, and who I may someday be. I've found that when you can't afford to think about the world, out side of your own brain and so on, you might as well take a look at yourself. I've made a fair amount of work within this spectrum of thought, and these two images are the result of trying to understand myself in the most primitive visual way I could think of: looking at my body. My body, throughout all the changes in my life, has always been present. Such an obvious statement charts a way to a fairly obvious, but thoughtful, investigation of the self. The two image are scans of my hands and my feet. They are a small look at my identity, personality, my being, etc. Hopefully I will be making enough money soon to fund my other project(s), but for the time being; this. There are more images within this body of work, and there are certainly more to come. Remember, "All Work, All The Time!" Enjoy.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home